Skip to content

us expat tax guide – australia

What is a proprietary limited company?

A proprietary limited company, commonly referred to as a “Pty Ltd,” is a private company structure in Australia characterized by having limited liability. 

It’s designed to have no more than 50 non-employee shareholders, making it a popular choice for small to medium-sized businesses. The key advantage is that shareholders are only liable for the company’s debts up to the amount they’ve invested in shares, protecting personal assets.

Must I report my proprietary limited company on my US tax return?

If you are a US tax resident with significant ownership in a Pty Ltd, you will likely need to report this on your US tax return. 

Ownership of 10% or more in the company triggers specific reporting requirements, including the potential need to file IRS Form 5471 for Controlled Foreign Corporations (CFCs) if you own 50% or more. This form is essential for disclosing details about foreign corporations where US taxpayers hold a substantial interest.

Does owning a Pty Ltd complicate US tax obligations?

Yes, owning a Pty Ltd can significantly complicate your US tax obligations. The involvement in a Pty Ltd may subject you to complex tax regulations under US law, potentially leading to a higher tax liability or at least a more complex tax filing requirement. The IRS closely scrutinizes foreign business ownership, making compliance essential.

Can I reduce US tax reporting requirements by allocating shares to a non-US spouse?

Attempting to circumvent US reporting requirements by transferring the majority of shares to a non-US spouse (keeping under 10% of the shares yourself) is not straightforward. 

The IRS employs various anti-deferral and anti-avoidance rules that can attribute ownership back to US taxpayers, regardless of the name on the shares. This strategy often does not effectively shield a US taxpayer from the filing requirements or potential tax liabilities.

What if the non-US spouse is the sole shareholder?

Even if a non-US spouse holds all shares and the US resident is merely an employee, the IRS has mechanisms to address this arrangement to ensure tax compliance.

Are the current tax guidance and regimes here to stay?

With Australia’s corporate tax rate typically between 27.5% and 30%, compared to the US’s 21%, businesses in Australia currently enjoy a beneficial position. However, US tax residents need to stay alert. 

The US tax landscape, which is influenced by changes in presidential administrations and laws set to expire in 2025, may undergo significant shifts. This uncertain future highlights the importance of staying informed and being prepared for potential changes in tax regimes.

What actions should you take?

Navigating both Australian and US tax systems requires a knowledgeable tax professional familiar with both landscapes. The complexity of the US tax system, in particular, demands expert handling to avoid costly errors.

How do you ensure compliance when owning a Pty Ltd company in the US?

Compliance for US tax residents who own a Pty Ltd company involves meticulous documentation and reporting:

  • Detailed financial statements of the company for each calendar year.
  • Australian tax returns for the Pty Ltd company.
  • Comprehensive share registry information, including details about ownership and the owners’ tax residency status. Providing this information to your tax advisors allows for a thorough preparation of your US tax returns, including the necessary Form 5471.

What happens if your Pty Ltd company in Australia is profitable?

Recent changes in US tax regulations have significantly shifted the landscape. The introduction of the GILTI (Global Intangible Low-Taxed Income) previously complicated tax matters for small business profits abroad. Current guidelines, however, offer some relief for businesses in countries with higher corporate tax rates than the US, like Australia, allowing for more favorable US tax outcomes.

What should be your first step in managing your taxes as a US expat with a Pty Ltd?

It’s crucial to engage with tax professionals who deeply understand the US tax implications of foreign business ownership and can navigate complex IRS regulations. This ensures that your tax planning is optimized and your financial documentation is thorough, helping you manage potential liabilities effectively.

In summary, what should you do?

  • Work with advisors who are well-versed in the US tax system.
  • Discuss with your advisors the best strategies for setting up and managing your company or investments.
  • Ensure consistent and clear communication between your financial advisors to facilitate effective information sharing and tax filing.

Table of contents