Skip to content

U.S. Citizenship Renunciation Program

For many expats, the confusion of tax season for a country in which they no longer live makes for a miserable few months out of the year. This administrative and expensive headache has caused many expats to renounce their American citizenship.




Double taxation is a problem that tax treaties can help with, although they don’t cover everything. Selling your house abroad, in the UK, Australia, or many other nations, may result in a hefty US capital gains tax payment.



The administrative charge to abandon your US citizenship was $400 just a few years ago. The current cost is $2,350, but in the future, it might exceed $5,000.



Due to difficult regulations, high tax compliance fees, and additional taxes, investing for your future outside of the US can be a costly experience..



Many people consider the high tax burden that comes with having little to no ties to the United States to be sufficient justification for giving up citizenship.

Why do I have to file US taxes if I live in another country?

To put it plainly, this is a fundamental aspect of United States legislation.

Regardless of their global location, all American citizens are required to disclose their global income annually by filing a US tax return.

The US stands out as one of the mere two nations worldwide where taxation hinges on citizenship status.

In stark contrast, nearly all other countries levy taxes based on residency, leading to an increased level of complexity and confusion when it comes to understanding and fulfilling US tax responsibilities for those who have relocated overseas.

Do I need to be up-to-date with my taxes to give up my citizenship?

Giving up your citizenship has two main parts.

First, you need to set up a meeting with the U.S. Consulate.

Second, you need to take care of your taxes. This means doing some specific things so the IRS knows you’re no longer a citizen and you won’t have problems later on.

Read more about the process here.

What does “exit tax” mean, and who has to pay it?

The term “exit tax” refers to a levy imposed on certain US expatriates – specifically ‘covered expatriates’ – who wish to relinquish their US citizenship or Green Card.

However, it’s important to note that not all US expatriates fall into this ‘covered’ category. The determination is made through a three-test evaluation process.

Learn more about exit tax and covered expatriate here.

Renunciation Packages

Standard Renunciation Program

If you don’t qualify for the Relief Procedure for Certain Citizens, then use this program.

1. You must have citizenship of another country.

2. You’ll need a Social Security Number, if you don’t have one, we can help.

3. Tell us if your net worth is above US$2m

Relief Procedures For Certain Citizens

If you meet all the criteria, you can use this program…

1. You’re a U.S. citizenship holder that has never filed a U.S. tax return, except a 1040NR.

2. You have U.S. citizenship but not necessarily a Social Security Number.

3. You have U.S. citizenship and your net worth is below US$2m

What if I’m way behind my U.S. tax returns?

There is a special IRS program to help you catch up on your U.S. taxes safely, without fines and penalties.


It’s for American citizens that didn’t know they had to file U.S. tax returns each year, and have therefore fallen behind. Some more than 30 years! 

Why work with Expat US Tax?



We have successfully guided more than 500 individuals through the Renunciation process. Undertake it just once, but ensure it’s done correctly.



Around 35 professionals from our tax team hold licensure from the IRS, a claim that can be effortlessly verified via the official IRS website.



Throughout the entire process, a tax expert will be at your disposal to provide assistance. Moreover, our tax questionnaire has been designed for effortless utilization.



We take great pride in leading the industry with competitive pricing. In our commitment to transparency and value, we include hundreds of additional IRS forms at no extra cost. 

Meet our specialist accountants for renouncing US citizenship


Aya Takriti

Enrolled Agent
Tax Manager
10 years of Expat Tax Experience

30-minutes US$247.


Rose-ann De Villa

Enrolled Agent, CPA
Senior Tax Manager
13 years of Expat Tax Experience

30-minutes US$347.