Skip to content

us expat tax guide – france

What is an SCI?

An SCI (Société Civile Immobilière) is a type of company in France that people use to own and manage real estate. It’s similar to a partnership or corporation in the US but specifically for property.

Here’s how it works in simple terms:

  • Ownership Structure: Instead of owning a property directly in your name, you create an SCI, and the SCI owns the property. You and anyone else involved (like family members) own shares in the SCI.
  • Management: The SCI makes it easier to manage the property, especially if there are multiple owners. Decisions about the property are made by the shareholders of the SCI.
  • Tax Benefits: There can be tax advantages to using an SCI. For instance, it can simplify how you pass the property to heirs or manage rental income.
  • Liability: An SCI can help limit personal liability. If there are legal issues with the property, the SCI itself is responsible, not the individual owners.

The IRS requires careful analysis to determine whether to treat the SCI as a corporation or partnership for US tax purposes.

If the SCI is treated as a corporation, you must file Form 5471. This form is used to report your interest in the foreign corporation.

If the SCI is treated as a partnership, you must file Form 8865. This form reports your share of the partnership’s income, deductions, and credits.

How should Americans in France report investment properties to the IRS?

Determine the Structure first. Identify whether the property is held individually or through an SCI. For US tax purposes, an SCI can be treated as either a corporation or a partnership.

You can report your rental income and expenses on Schedule E of your Form 1040 if you own the property directly. It’s important to remember to keep detailed records of all income and expenses, including taxes, utilities, and maintenance costs.

What information should clients provide to their US tax professional for rental income?

Clients should keep detailed records of all expenses related to the rental property. This includes taxes, utilities, advertisements, renovations, insurance, and any other expenses. At the end of the year, providing a spreadsheet that details rental income and all associated expenses will help the tax professional prepare an accurate US tax return.

Is there a standard way to handle all scenarios?

No, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. 

The treatment depends on various factors and specific circumstances. However, both Form 5471 and Form 8865 carry significant late filing penalties, so it’s extremely important to file the correct form.

Can foreign taxes paid on rental income be credited on the US return?

Foreign taxes paid on rental income can often be credited against US tax liability. However, this depends on how the property is structured for US tax purposes. 

If the SCI is treated as a flow-through entity and pays income tax on the net income, foreign tax credits may be used. However, if it’s structured more like a corporation, different rules may apply, which potentially results in taxation at the company level.

Why does the structure of the SCI matter in reporting to the IRS?

The structure of the SCI (whether it is treated as a foreign partnership or corporation) significantly impacts how income is reported to the IRS. 

How income is received from the investment property (whether as a distribution from a corporation or share of partnership income) affects the applicable tax treatment and potential foreign tax credits.

Table of contents