Skip to content

Does a Saudi business owner with US citizenship need to file a US Foreign Corporation Tax Return?

Yes, a Saudi business owner with US citizenship must file a US Foreign Corporation Tax Return if they have significant ownership or control over the foreign corporation. This is typically reported on Form 5471 to disclose their interest in the corporation, as well as comply with US tax responsibilities.

What is Form 5471 used for?

Form 5471 is used by US citizenship holders who are officers, directors, or shareholders in certain foreign corporations to report their transactions and activities.

What triggers the need to file Form 5471?

  • Ownership in Foreign Corporations: If you own 10% or more in a foreign corporation, you’re required to report this ownership on Form 5471.
  • Less Than 10% Ownership: Generally, if your ownership is less than 10% and you have no US family members with shares in the same corporation, filing Form 5471 may not be necessary. However, the collective ownership with immediate family members that exceeds 10% could trigger a filing requirement.

What if I own more than 50% of the foreign corporation?

Owning more than 50% of a foreign corporation categorizes the business as a Controlled Foreign Corporation (CFC) from the perspective of the IRS. This means the net income of the company is considered taxable to the US shareholder, even without distributions.

What should I do before establishing a foreign corporation?

It’s advisable to consult with a tax professional before becoming a shareholder in a foreign corporation. This is because understanding the potential tax implications and reporting requirements upfront can save significant headaches and financial strain down the line.

I’m an existing shareholder who forgot to file, what should I do?

If you’ve already become a shareholder and were unaware of the filing requirements, reaching out to a tax professional is essential. Solutions such as the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures (amnesty program) may be available, offering a way to rectify past non-compliance without severe penalties.

What else should I know about?

If the foreign corporation has a bank account and you possess signature authority over it, this account must also be reported on your Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR).

Table of contents