Skip to content

As a US citizenship holder in Saudi, do I need to report gifts to the IRS?

Possibly. As someone with US citizenship in Saudi, you need to report any gift exceeding US$100,000 received from a non-US person during the tax year using IRS Form 3520.

Gifts are a common cultural expression, especially in places like Saudi Arabia, where the exchange of gifts among family members can often cross significant monetary values. For US citizenship holders married to non-US persons, understanding the IRS requirements for reporting gifts is crucial to ensure compliance with US tax laws and avoid potential penalties.

When do you need to report gifts?

If you have US citizenship and receive a gift from a non-US person, such as a family member of your non-US spouse, the IRS requires you to report this if the total value of the gifts received in a year exceeds US$100,000. This reporting is done through Form 3520, which is specifically designed for reporting transactions with foreign trusts and receipt of certain foreign gifts.

What needs to be reported?

On Form 3520, you’ll need to detail:

  • The date you received the gift.
  • A description of the gift (cash, property, stocks, etc.).
  • The fact that it was received from a non-resident alien.
  • The value of the gift.

Are there any tax implications when receiving gifts in Saudi as a US citizenship holder?

It’s important to note that while the value of the gift itself is not subject to US taxes, any income generated from the gift (for example, rental income from a property) is taxable on your US tax return.

This distinction ensures that while the act of receiving a gift does not trigger a tax event, any benefits derived from the gift, such as income, are taxed accordingly.

How should I report rental income?

For rental income generated from a property received as a gift, the income should be reported on Form 8858. This form is part of the tax return package and is used to report income from foreign rental properties, among other things.

Should I get professional advice?

Yes, it’s typically a wise investment. US citizenship holders receiving substantial gifts from abroad should consider consulting with a tax professional. This is especially important for those who are unsure about the reporting requirements or who wish to ensure that their tax filings are accurate and complete.

A tax professional can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation, helping you navigate the intricacies of international gift reporting and tax obligations.

Table of contents